Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chiarieri's Molto Bene Granaro Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

A few weeks ago Pris and I were visiting San Antonio and buying up what wine we could at Central Market.  While we were there, we decided to get my mom a Montepulciano since we weren't able to get one from the Cheers Y'all wine tasting.  Central Market didn't have the Duchman from the tasting, but they had a pretty good selection of Italian reds to choose from.  In fact we ended up having to ask for recommendations due to the number of wines. 

While I never used to ask for assistance, I now enjoy asking for recommendations with wine since we haven't had a bad wine yet.  The clerk took time from cleaning up a broken bottle to point out Chiarieri's 2008 Granaro Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.  We actually opened this wine on Sunday to go with our sirloin, pesto mashed potatoes, and César salad.  It was a great choice.

The Montepulciano had a heavy fruit nose with strong cherry notes.  This was followed by a full, rich, dark fruit flavor.  Initially there was a strong dry finish with heavy tannins, but as the wine opened up, the finish and tannins mellowed significantly.  The Granaro has a deep garnet coloration.  There are strong hints of blackberry and currant up front, followed by a hint of sweetness just before the finish.

Granaro Montepulciano d'Abruzzo was a solid and delicious dry Italian red.  It does help if you're already partial to Montepulcianos like my mom.  In fact, she had set aside the bottle we got her so she could share it with us.  However, she opened it by accident and ended up finishing it off in short order.  This wine will pair well with your richer foods.

It took a little while, but I finally found the website: http://www.chiarieri.it/Inglese/Prodotti1.htm.  There's a little information there, but there's also quite a bit out on the web.  We picked up our bottle at H.E.B. Central Market in San Antonio, and it cost about $13.  You can find it online for about $10.  I'm not sure if any local sellers carry it, but it never hurts to look since you never know what you'll find.

3 comments:

  1. I picked this wine up at Central Market in San Antonio. I liked the description: "Deep color purple with aromas of bblack currant, black berries, and ripe figs. Works well with pasta and pizza." My brain is thinking "pasta/pizza + red wine = Chianti or Sangiovese" - sounds good, I'll try it. I really enjoyed it. Even better - Central Market is having their holiday stock up sale which makes it an even better buy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading your comments, and I'm very happy! I'm the owner of that label, we have a very nice winery in Abruzzo. We had an importer in Delware, but he isn't buying our wines at the moment. I hope we'll find another importer that will import our products in your beautiful country...thank you very much for your words, I'm so glad. I'd like so much to meet you, thank you again.
    Ciriaco Chiarieri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! For sure, this wine is worthy to be tried.

    ReplyDelete