Monday, July 4, 2011

Celebrating Independence Day with the Hahn Family

Yesterday we had a nice little family BBQ here at our place to celebrate Independence Day.  It wasn't quite the 4th, but doing it on Sunday would give me time to relax and recuperate before getting back to work.  In order to prepare for the festivities, I went to Jones Liquor to grab some wine.  Pris asked me to look into some Pinots and get some wine that was good with barbeque. 

Luckily, Mike Jones was there and greeted me when I stepped into the store.  We chatted a bit and then I asked him about any recommendations.  He pointed out a number of bottles, and I grabbed his four top picks (the other three will be reviewed in due time).  Even though I know wine goes well with grilled meat, I pretty much have to be drinking beer while I work the grill.  Its just a thing. New Belgium Brewery Sunshine Wheat, Brooklyn Summer Ale, and Twilight Summer Ale for any who are interested.

Like with any good barbecue, we had a pretty decent amount of leftovers.  So for lunch Pris and I uncorked one of our BBQ recommendations to go with lunch.  We selected the Hahn Winery's 2009 Pinot Noir, and once again Mike Jones did not steer us wrong.

The Hahn 2009 Pinot Noir is light and fruity, slightly sweet at first.  It mellows some as it breathes, and the sweetness melts away.  The Pinot has a good fruity nose that leads into ripe berry flavors.  Smooth tannins allow for a smooth finish with just a spicy bit of bite.

On its own, the Pinot is a good wine, but paired with barbecue it fantastic.  The fruit and spice paired great with a BBQ bacon cheddar burger, a bit of beer brined grilled chicken, and pasta salad.  The wine really added to the overall flavor of the food and I can't wait to try it out with some other barbecue dishes in the future.

You can find this wine at Jones Liquor here in Brownsville, and it runs about $13.  If you're into lighter wines, this Pinot's for you.  I'd also recommend going to Jones.  We were discussing how the number of Pinots he's carrying has doubled recently.  Its not a large collection, but its very well curated.  For more info on the Hahn Winery you can check out: http://www.hahnestates.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment