Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Step by Step Sauvignon Blanc

Pris and I don't drink much white wine, that should be pretty evident from the overall lack of posts on white wines.  So I figured I'd do a quick review on Step by Step's 2009 Sauvignon Blanc from Chile.  In all fairness, I only bought this wine for cooking up some pork chops with apples and onions.  It was on clearance at Feldman's Market Center and its original price showed it probably wasn't a bad wine. 

After I used it in the dish it sat in the fridge while Pris and I worked through a number of reds.  A couple days ago I decided to braise some chicken in the remaining Sauvignon Blanc with garlic, onion, rosemary, thyme, and sage.  One of my favorite shows growing up was the Cajun chef on PBS.  He was an older man with a Cajun accent who poured as much wine, beer, or liquor for himself as he did for his dishes he was working on.  I can still imitate his accent. 

So to follow his lead I poured myself an ample glass of the Step by Step and then poured the rest into the pot.  The Sauvignon Blanc I poured for myself was crisp and refreshing with strong citrus notes on the nose and palate.  There's a touch of apple sweetness mixed in on the palate that was thankfully subtle.  What followed was a light lingering finish that faded nicely.

 I picked this wine up at Feldmans Market Center here in Brownsville.  It was on clearance for about $5.  Since this was a clearance wine I'm not sure if they have any left, but its worth looking for if you enjoy a nice crisp white that's not too dry or sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment