Sunday, July 17, 2016

Flat Creek Estates Tempranillo: The Little Wine That Could

To be honest, this wine almost didn’t get reviewed. I picked this 2012 tempranillo up at Central Market in Houston on one of my trips. It was recommended, and I tend to really like Texas Tempranillo so it seemed like a perfect match. Unfortunately, the first glass did not live up to its potential and I pretty much wrote it off. However, I was raised not to be wasteful, so once a wine is open it is going to be finished off. When I opened the vacuum sealed bottle, I was greatly surprised by the change in the wine.

This little tempranillo went from being a discordant mix of fruit, spice, and tannin to a smooth symphony of flavor. Cherry and plum greet the palate up front, but a much subtler earthiness follows at the end of the draw. Mild spice undertones work throughout the sip and add the right bit of punch--subtle and not overpowering. It is amazing what can happen when you let a wine breathe.


I paired the wine with a pasta salad made from organic whole wheat pasta, grilled chicken, olives, sweet peppers, feta, and herbed olive oil. The sufficiently opened wine was a perfect counterpoint to the light fare. The grilled chicken paired especially well with the wine, and I would like to try it with more grilled meats once I pick up another bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment