Sunday, December 11, 2011

24/7 Riesling Keeps on Going

For Thanksgiving I reviewed the Valley of the Moon Pinot Noir, but that wasn't the only wine Pris and I opened for dinner.  Pris' family was over to celebrate with us and they enjoy the sweeter things in life, or at least the sweeter wines in life.  I picked up a bottle of Lambrusco for them and a 2007 German Riesling from 24/7.  Both wines were bought at H.E.B. for about $6 each.

The Lambrusco left with the family since Pris and I aren't into sweet reds, but the Riesling has been waiting around to be finished for a couple of weeks now.  Thanks to refrigeration and vacuum seals the wine is still as fizzy and fruity as it was when it was opened.  There were actually two different Rieslings, a sweet and semi-sweet.  Given my in-laws predilections I opted for the sweet one, but am pleasantly surprised that the sweet label isn't quite accurate.

The nose of the 24/7 Riesling was full of citrus, apples, and a touch of honey.  On the palate it was sweet, but not cloyingly so.  The crisp fruit and sugars mingled nicely with a touch of citric acidity.  The Riesling was not as sharp and crisp as some, but still refreshing.  The wine seemed to end abruptly, but after a minute there was a bit of ripe apple aftertaste that lingered in the back of the throat.

I wasn't able to find a website or any real reviews for the 2007 24/7 Riesling.  I know its at H.E.B and at Feldman's.  I also know that it is a good value at $6 a bottle.  So if you enjoy drinking sweeter chilled whites, this is a good everyday wine for you.  Or if you're entertaining and looking for an economical dessert wine or sweeter white to go with poultry, once again this is a good choice.

1 comment:

  1. I had a great bottle of Riesling and not i can not find it anywhere, it was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete