Sunday, December 11, 2011

McManis Pinot Grigio Soothes the Savage Tso

Like the last wine post, this one also has its roots in Thanksgiving weekend.  I've mentioned the last minute party that was thrown on Saturday.  As a thank you for the use of the place at the last minute, the erstwhile party goers bequeathed Pris and I with a number of their leftover bottles of wine.  One of those wines we opened up last night was McManis Family Vineyards 2010 Pinot Grigio.

This was a great crisp Pinot Grigio with a near perfect balance of sweetness and acidity.  Abundant citrus fruit and apples rules the nose.  This fragrant combo continued on the palate.  The McManis Pinot Grigio was light, crisp, and refreshing with a quick and smooth finish. 

We paired the McManis Pinot Grigio with a lunch of Sam's prepared General Tso's chicken.  I know its bad for you, but it'd been forever since I had this particular dish.  I also thought it would go well with the wine and was glad to be right.  The sweetness of the wine was a perfect compliment to the sweetness of the Tso's sauce.  The crisp acidity cut through the heat nicely and calmed the meal down considerably. 

I would definitely recommend this wine for and number of sweet and spicy Asian dishes.  Of course, its lightness and drinkability make this a great anytime wine as well.  We have a little I'm saving for tomorrow night's roasted chicken dinner.

My understanding is that the wine came from Jones Liquor here in Brownsville.  Since I did not buy it, or price it on my last trip there I can't report on the price.  I did see it online list at $10, so it seems to be a very economical wine.  For more information on this Pinot Grigio and the McManis Family Vineyards you can visit:  http://www.mcmanisfamilyvineyards.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment