Monday, December 19, 2011

O Me O My Meiomi

Saturday night was another shut in night for Pris and I.  We had a wedding downstairs, albeit one that ended at 10, so we had to settle in early.  In order to properly provision us I picked up a Spanish platter, some pork loin, baba ganoush, and hummus from Feldman's Market Center.  I also grabbed a bottle of Belle Glos Meiomi 2010 Pinot Noir.  I wanted a lighter wine to go with the food, and while a Rioja of some sort would've been great, we just reviewed a Spanish red. 

The Meiomi Pinot was everything I expected, fruity but not jammy, and all ripe red berry.  The nose was ripe raspberry and blueberry with just a touch of earthy mineral tang to keep the fruit in check.  This Pinot was mild on the palate with the same raspberries and blueberries making a good showing.  Undercurrents of vanilla and oak balance out this fine Pinot.  Towards the back of the palate a nice bit of spice and heat make its presence known.  Like a number of lighter wines, the finish is shorter, but refreshing.  Strong tannins provide a good bite to go with the heat making for a strong finish.

Meiomi's Pinot is a nice medium bodied wine that will go with any number of dishes.  It went well with the various chesses, cured meats, and dips that we grazed on Saturday night.  But it really shined when we paired it with a tomato bisque.  The fruit and spice of the wine was the perfect compliment to the acidic and herbal tomatoes.  I finished off the last of the Meiomi with tonight's dinner of chicken parmesan with a lemon, dijon, caper sauce.  Again, the acid and savory in the sauce went incredibly well with the fruit and spice in the wine.  This really is a versatile Pinot.
Full disclosure, the price was what really drew me in on this particular wine.  Listed for $33, the Meiomi was priced at $14 for Feldman's card holders.  At over half off I could not pass it up, and I'm glad I didn't.  At the price its a great everyday wine, but get them quick before the sale ends or the wine runs out.  For more information on Meiomi wines you can visit: http://www.meiomiwines.com//

No comments:

Post a Comment